Orville Acres Arena
22 Vanier Avenue
Pinawa, MB R0E 1L0
Ice Rental Inquires: 204-753-2904
The Pinawa Arena was built in 1970 by the Local Government District of Pinawa, through the co-operation of Atomic Energy of Canada Limited. It was decorated and equipped by volunteer labour and with contributions from the organizations and residents of Pinawa and the Manitoba Centennial Corporation.
The Pinawa Arena was officially renamed in 2003 to honour Orville Acres (1932-2002) for his tireless devotion to hockey in Pinawa and Manitoba. Orville's dedication and volunteer efforts played a large role in building the arena, and in starting, developing, and sustaining hockey programs in Pinawa. Over three decades, Orville served as coach and referee for both the minor and senior hockey programs, referee evaluator, skate-sharpening co-ordinator, and member of the Pinawa Minor Hockey Executive. Orville's kind and soft-spoken nature on and off the ice, his mentorship of referees, and his willingness to help made him one of the most valued and respected members of Pinawa's hockey associations. To recognize his long-standing term as Pinawa's "Mr. Hockey," a grateful community has paid tribute to Orville Acres by commemorating this arena in his name.